A study has been conducted by Centre for Science and Environment for a period of 1 year taking the sample data of the capital of the country, New Delhi and along with the National Capital Region (NCR). The samples have been tested and were under observation in two laboratories.
About 84% of samples which were into consideration under testing found the presence of:
- Potassium Bromate
- Potassium Iodate
The presence of the above can lead to diseases like cancer and thyroid.
The study reveals that consuming bread on an everyday basis can lead to contracting the cancer disease.
Centre for Science and Research states after its study that requirement of Iodine in the body by Indians is met by the iodised salt that they consume. By consumption of bread, it is leading to an overdose of the presence of Iodine in their bodies.
The mixing of chemicals | Ban in several countries
Chemicals are mixed to make the bread softer, fluffier and white in its colour. Such chemicals and their usage are absolutely banned in countries of European and Unanian origin along with countries like Canada, United States of America and Australia. There is no ban on the usage of such harsh chemicals in India.
Business by the sale of bread in the country:
- In the year 2015, the business done by the sale of bread was approximated at 3300 crores INR. Such business is growing at an increased rate of 9% every year.
- What causes more harm to the body is the consumption of white bread. The consumption of white bread in the country is near about 75%.
Excerpts from a conversation:
A conversation with the Deputy Director General of Centre for Science and Environment Mr. Chandra Bhushan and Central Health Minister Mr. Jagat Prakash Nadda took place. Some excerpts from the conversation:
- If there seems to be a discrepancy and doubt in the findings of the research conducted by Centre for Science and Research to any person, they can get a research conducted on their own level. Research by Centre for Science and Environment has been not only done in its own laboratories but also in the laboratories of third parties in Mumbai.
- Samples taken belonged only to New Delhi and National Capital Region, but it is stated that when a company chooses its ingredients that go into the making of a product, it utilises that recipe as a base of mass production of the country. Hence it is claimed that the consumption of bread for the country people is hazardous to their health and not only to the people of New Delhi and National Capital Region merely because the sample was taken from that area.
- The bread that has been revealed to be unfit for consumption is mainly white bread and the pizza bread. Brown bread, whole-wheat bread and multi-grain bread has not been stated to be unfit.
- The product will be banned if it is found to be unfit for human consumption and their health.